You know I know you know - Part Six

Day Six and I woke up feeling loads better - I found the Zen of Not Being Able to Draw. Decided to stop worrying about it and just make as many right marks as I could. Some stuff worked really well, some stuff worked worse than usual but I felt a lot lighter about it. I think the fact my muscles had stopped aching and being stiff helped with that as well, as did soaking up the sunshine and fresh air during our breaks.

We had Mark again in the morning. The model really is very important - for their energy level as much as their ability to stay still. Mark really never got comfortable and had a lot of trouble understanding what was needed for the gesture poses. We ended up doing a lot of 10 and 20 minute poses which seemed like a good length of time for me with my charchoal, chalk and newsprint.

For the afternoon had another new model, Mary. She was, in fact, Alan's wife. She was a very good model, especially with the gesture poses which called for a variety of "actions". I wonder if she and Alan practice poses in their living room. hmm. She was nice to draw though I noticed that her face became so relaxed her jaw would drop open. She was in her late 50s early 60s, but I seemed to draw her as much younger than that - in her face at least.

Her late afternoon long pose was a lovely one. Sitting with her weight back on her hands and her legs outstretched with one leg slightly bent, as if at the beach. I had a great view - not *too* much forshortening and two very clear feet. I started in the middle of her body and drew outwards - measuring, looking, marking the paper. I got all the way to her left foot and the wheels fell off my waagon - I couldn't get that foot to look like it was attached to the end of her leg to save_my_life. Her foot, in fact, looked like it'd been transplanted from Fred Flinstones! I had to laugh, it was just so bizarre looking. Marianne came over and looked at my work - I asked her to help me out and she figured my mistake was in the angle of the leg so she drew over the top, discovering yes, this was the case, but that angle affected this angle, and that tilt and this length and before I knew it, the only *right* thing in the entire drawing was the right wrist. Her extra dark conte lines overlaid my softer charcoal ones. The day ended with most of us wanting the pose to last, so as we had Mary again for the next day - our last day (yes, there is an end to this) we would set her up in that pose again and those who wished to continue working on that drawing could, and those (me) who needed a second "go" at it would be able to try again.

I had noticed that Norman had bought a novel sometime during the day and was now reading it at any and all breaks. He looked like he was truly over drawing and looking too. I bet he was over his mother mumbling at him "Shut up Norman" every time he talked too much during class. His work was quite good too - he was better than his mother. Both of them did very tight small work though, and if anything it got *smaller* during the 7 days of the course.

The Wanganui Arts Society had invited all students to a bar-b-que to be held at a cafe called Vega that evening. We didn't really know where that was but had an idea it was down by the paddle-boat place by the fine arts studio. We were only a few blocks out - thanks to the barmaid of the pub-opposite for the updated directions. The pub patrons were all male. Those older, horse-racing, TAB types. The conversation died as we walked into the bar. Almost silence, but for the sport on the television. I thought for a fleeting moment I would ask directions to Vega from the patrons but decided the best course of action was to ask a member of staff. Although the barmaid was behind the bar, it took her several long minutes to acknowledge our presence and answer our request for directions. She wasn't busy, she just waited until she was ready to say hello. There was a sign behind the bar "you are welcome to use our smoking room - it's outside - have a nice day".

Vega was quite a long cafe, with a bar in the front and one out the back, with a small deck and a large outdoor area. We spotted Mrs B and Norman outside at one of the few tables, so we decided to stay inside. Bron and Joslyn arrived sporting very swish and still new green flax bags they'd made earlier in the day. We ordered drinks and introduced ourselves finally, and proceeded to have a jolly nice time together. The food was really nice too, and plenty of it thank goodness as about 50 more people than anticipated showed up. That's what happens when you offer free food in an art centric place like Wanganui - no artist in their right mind'd pass the opportunity of free tabouli.

After a few hours of nattering and munching, Bron and Joslyn went to mingle with the other guests and Pat and I decided to go home. Yes, we are party poopers but we were tired and I was *over* people [yes, it most certainly is all about my needs] Pat went to her room to read, and I went to mine to watch Graveyard of Fireflies. I've been meaning to watch this for ages - it's beautifully drawn but oh sooo sad. Talk about *cry* Trev.